Mosaic Art by Dawn Ivy
- I am inspired to create meaningful mosaic art that will be treasured for many years to come.
- I love creating mosaics utilizing forgotten items, giving them new life as a piece of art. My mosaics often feature repurposed stained glass, vitreous glass tiles, smalti, broken tiles, salvaged mirror, beach glass, precious stones, glass beads, found treasures and vintage frames.
- My mosaic process is organic and time intensive...yet very satisfying when all the pieces fall into place.
- The first step is to create a design and color palette, build a substrate, attach a vintage frame and hanging hardware, collect my tessera (a small block of stone, tile, glass, or other material used in the construction of a mosaic), prep each little piece using nippers...and then begin gluing, one piece at a time on my substrate. The design may change as the pieces are placed...it's like an organic puzzle with infinite solutions. I finish with grout and lots of polishing.
- Piece by piece...it's a labor of love!